Continuing Professional Development
All members of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (CPSM) are required to participate and satisfy the minimum requirements of one of the national licensing body’s continuing professional development (CPD) programs as required in Section 10.4(1) of the CPSM General Regulation of the Regulated Health Professions Act. Physicians licensed to practice must enroll with either the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC)’s Mainpro+ or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSCs) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) CPD-tracking programs.
Clinical Assistants (CAs) must participate in the following CPD-tracking program: The Non-PA CPD-Tracking Tool program through the Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA).
Physician Assistants (PAs) must participate in one of the following two CPD-tracking programs: Canadian Association of Physician Assistants or the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) CPD-tracking programs.
CCFP, FCFP – Means Certification or Fellowship in Family Medicine by The College of Family Physicians of Canada. This is granted to family physicians who meet the requirements for certification or fellowship.
Mainpro – The program of the College of Family Physicians of Canada to track physicians. continuing professional development activities. Physicians are required to submit a total of 250 credits within every 5 year cycle.
FRCPC, FRCSC – Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada, Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada. This is granted by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada to physicians with specialty training who meet their requirements for fellowship.
Maintenance of Certification – The program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada to track physicians’ continuing professional development activities. Physicians holding FRCPC or FRCSC are required to meet the requirements for the Maintenance of Certification in order to retain their fellowship. Physicians are required to submit a minimum of 40 credits annually and 400 credits within every 5 year cycle.
CCPA – Canadian Certified Physician Assistant is a Physician Assistant who has met the defined course of study and has undergone testing by the Physician Assistant Certification Council of Canada (PACCC).
MAINPORT/MOC – Physician Assistants are required to submit a minimum of 40 credits of CPD activities per year and 400 credits over the course of a five-year cycle. Credits are documented using MAINPORT, the CPD reporting tool for the MOC Program.
Non-PA Tracking Tool – Clinical assistants are required to submit a minimum of 40 credits of CPD activities per year and 400 credits over the course of a five-year cycle. This Non-PA Tracking Tool category was created by CAPA specifically for clinical assistants.
THE COLLEGE OF PHYSICIAN & SURGEONS OF MANITOBA (CPSM’S) CPD PROGRAM
- If you are not currently enrolled in either Mainpro+, Maintenance of Certification, MAINPORT or the Non-PA Tracking Tool you are required to enroll.
- The College of Family Physicians will permit physicians to enroll in the Mainpro+ program as non-members and have their Continuing Professional Development activities tracked in the same manner as members.
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada will permit non-fellow specialists to have their Continuing Professional Development activities tracked in the same manner as fellows enrolled in Maintenance of Certification.
- You will be required to confirm that you have enrolled in the Mainpro+, Maintenance of Certification, MAINPORT or the Non-PA Tracking Tool Program annually when you renew your certificate of practice.
- For United States trained physician assistants, tracking your CPD/CME should be completed in your Personal Certification Record through the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA). Please contact NCCPA for more information or clarification.
- For members holding a Regulated Associate Member Educational Class Certificate to Practice, enrolling in Mainpro+ or Maintenance of Certification is optional (not mandatory).
- You may apply to the Deputy Registrar of the College of Physicians and Surgeons for an exemption from the CPD requirement. Unless an exemption is granted, you must enroll in either Mainpro+, Maintenance of Certification/MAINPORT, or the Non-PA Tracking Tool. Exemptions will be granted sparingly, and only for compelling reasons.
- Annually when you renew your Certificate of Practice, you must confirm your participation and compliance with the minimum CPD requirements. You are also expected to specify whether you are due to complete your 5-year cycle in the current year.
- Random audits with the assistance of CFPC, RCPSC and CAPA will be conducted each year. Members must be able to provide evidence that they have complied with CPD requirements upon the request of the College.
- If the annual requirements have not been met or there is a failure to produce evidence as requested by the College, the Central Standards Committee will refer the member to Registrar.
- If the Registrar considers the referral advisable, he or she may refer the matter to the Investigation Committee.
Enrolling in Mainpro+, Maintenance of Certification/MAINPORT or Non-PA Tracking Tool
The College of Family Physicians of Canada
2630 Skymark Avenue
Mississauga, ON L4W 5A4
CFPC dedicated hotline at 1-866-224-8104 or
Toll free: 1-800-387-6197 ext 204 or 243
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
774 Echo Drive
Ottawa ON Canada
Royal College Services Centre; at 1-613-730-6243
Toll free 1-800-461-9598
The Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
265 Carling Avenue, Suite 704
Ottawa, ON K1S 2E1
Toll Free: 1-877-744-2272
The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
12000 Findley Road, Suite 100
Johns Creek, GA 30097-1409
204-774-4344, Ext. 125
Dr. A. Mihalchuk
For more information, please click here Frequently Asked Questions