CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
All Manitoba physicians are required by legislation to participate in one of the two national continuing professional development programs, either the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) Mainpro or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) Maintenance of Certification/Continuing Professional Development. Both the CFPC and the RCPSC permit licensed physicians to participate in their Continuing Professional Development programs without becoming members of either College.CCFP, FCFP – Means Certification or Fellowship in Family Medicine by The College of Family Physicians of Canada. This is granted to family physicians who meet the requirements for certification or fellowship. Mainpro – The program of the College of Family Physicians of Canada to track physicians. continuing professional development activities. Physicians are required to submit a total of 250 credits within every 5 year cycle.
FRCPC, FRCSC – Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada, Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada. This is granted by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada to physicians with specialty training who meet their requirements for fellowship.
Maintenance of Certification – The program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada to track physicians’ continuing professional development activities. Physicians holding FRCPC or FRCSC are required to meet the requirements for the Maintenance of Certification in order to retain their fellowship. Physicians are required to submit a minimum of 40 credits annually and 400 credits within every 5 year cycle.
THE COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS & SURGEONS OF MANITOBA (CPSM)’S CPD PROGRAM
- If you are currently enrolled as a member of the CFPC, you will need to accrue a minimum of 25 Mainpro credits annually with a total of 250 credits at the end of your 5 year cycle.
- If you currently hold FRCPC or FRCSC, you will need to meet the annual requirements of Maintenance of Certification by accruing a minimum of 40 credits annually and a total of 400 credits at the end of your 5 year cycle.
- If you are not currently enrolled in either Mainpro or Maintenance of Certification, you are required to enroll.
- The College of Family Physicians will permit physicians to enroll in the Mainpro program as non-members and have their Continuing Professional Development activities tracked in the same manner as members.
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada will permit non-fellow specialists to have their Continuing Professional Development activities tracked in the same manner as fellows enrolled in Maintenance of Certification.
- You are required to confirm that you have enrolled in either Mainpro or Maintenance of Certification when you renew your license.
- If you hold an educational license, you are not required to enroll for Mainpro or Maintenance of Certification.
- You may apply to the CPSM Registrar for an exemption from the CPD requirement. Unless an exemption is granted, you must enroll in either Mainpro or Maintenance of Certification. Exemptions will be granted sparingly, and only for compelling reasons.
- Confirmation of the accrual of the minimum required credits must be recorded on your renewal annually beginning September 2011. Confirmation that you will meet the minimum 5-year cycle requirement is also requested (when applicable).
- Random audits will be conducted. Members must be able to provide evidence that they have complied with CPD requirements upon the request of the CPSM.
- If the annual requirements have not been met or there is a failure to produce evidence as requested by the CPSM, the Standards Committee will refer the member to the Registrar.
- If the Registrar considers the referral advisable, he or she may refer the matter to the Investigation Committee.
- You were required to sign an “Authorization for Release of Information” form for the CFPC or the RCPSC. With your authorization, the CPSM will be able to acquire your information from either the CFPC or the RCPSC and incorporate it into your CPSM record. Random verifications can be conducted without intrusion into your valuable time or at any additional cost to you. If you have not yet signed and submitted the required form, click here for the “Authorization for Release of Information” form.
- If you choose not to provide authorization, you are required to provide to the CPSM verification of enrollment in Mainpro with the CFPC or MoC/CPD with the RCPSC.
ENROLLING IN MAINPRO OR MAINTENANCE OF CERTIFICATION
The College of Family Physicians of Canada
2630 Skymark Avenue
Mississauga ON L4W 5A4
CFPC dedicated hotline at 1-866-224-8104, or
Toll free 1-800-387-6197, Ext. 204 or 243
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
774 Echo Drive
Ottawa ON K1S 5N8
RCPSC Department of Professional Affairs at 1-613-730-6243, or
Toll free 1-800-461-9598
CPD Coordinator:204-774-4344, Ext. 125 firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Registrar:Dr. T. Babick
For more information, please click here Frequently Asked Questions