Should I Complain?

Anyone who has concerns about the care they have received from a physician or about a physician’s conduct towards them has a right to complain to the College.  Whether you choose to exercise that right is a personal decision.  Your complaint will be treated seriously.

If you have concerns about the care a physician provided to someone else, you may not have a right to complain.  Due to privacy concerns, the College does not accept complaints filed on behalf of other competent adults respecting their care.  A complainant is free to obtain the assistance of anyone they wish, but the College responds only to the complainant.  Complaints respecting the care provided to infants, vulnerable persons, mentally incompetent adults or deceased individuals must be submitted by the legal representative of such persons.

There is no time limit as to when you can complain, but the process is more effective if you file your complaint at an early stage.

If you are considering making a complaint you should understand what to expect and the possible outcomes of your complaint. [see Expectations and Outcomes]

If you are unsure whether you have the basis for a complaint and would like to speak to someone, call the College at 204 774-4344 or toll-free 1-877-774-4344 and ask that your call be directed to the Complaints/Investigations Department.

If you already know you want to submit a formal complaint, go to Submitting a Complaint.